Re: Question about "new" operator in C++ and "malloc()" function in C. Thanks a lot

"QiangHuang" <jameshq@liverpool.ac.uk> writes:

> Thanks a lot Nick and Jifl for your reply.
>
> Q1
> as eCOS built with "libtarget.a libgcc.a libsupc++.a".   Does the ISO C
> package (in eCOS source) implement all the ISO standard C support?

Probably. Although it is mostly compliant with C89 rather than C99.

> Does
> anyother supporting functions  comes from libgcc.a rather than the ISO C
> package? (would this cause any conflict between ISO C package and libgcc.a
> if both supply the function (same name)?) (I am new to the GNU compiler
> library, so please correct me if I am wrong. thanks)

libgcc just contains stuff that the compiler requires. Depending on
the target it may contain things like software floating point
and arithmetic routines. The C library routines are usually in
libtarget.

> Q2
> As ISO C support is implemented as a package suppiled with eCOS in source
> form, does "new/delete" opeartor also implemented and suppiled with eCOS in
> source form? or come directly from the libsupc++.a library or as built-in
> with C++ compiler?

The standard new is part of the compiler implementation, and is
provided in libsupc++. It ends up calling malloc(), but you would have
to look at the C++ library sources in the compiler sources to see what
else it does.