Re: Getting closer ...

At 03:40 AM 8/3/2003 +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/ref/rebuilding-redboot.html

Re-read the indicated link.

You are missing the "ecosconfig import" command. This will set the
start type to floppy and a few other things. You need the import file
redboot_FLOPPY.ecm

Very good advice missed that bit. So I did this:
ecosconfig new pc redboot
ecosconfig import /usr/local/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/.../redboot_FLOPPY.ecm
ecosconfig tree
gmake

Now reboot.bin was built with no errors, I put it on the floppy and rebooted and got the stream of dots, then the screen cleared and on COM1 and on the PC screen I got:

"+IDE failed to identify unit 1 - wrote b0, read : ff"

That was a bit scary until I looked at the code and it seems this is just the probe for the drive, not actually writing on it.

I tried the redboot_FLOPPY.bin file that is on the redhat site.
http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ecos/images/i386/pc/?cvsroot=ecos

That gave me a bunch of dots then ended with "....BA2!" on the screen only.

Maybe its something weird with the Intel BX chipset (shouldn't be the BIOS set it up) or the fact that there is 512MB of memory installed.

Still questing ...

> You don't need it. You can do everything with ecosconfig and an
> editor.

That's good to know
--Chuck