initializing cyg_handle_t values before passing to a function

Hi,

I was wondering what happens when I declare a cyg_handle_t variable, the
best that I can see from the eCos code is that it is a simple typedef.

Yet, in the case of cyg_alarm_create(), several of these cyg data
types(cyg_hanlde_t, cyg_alarm_t,cyg_alarm) are pass without being
initialized.

So my question is, when I declare cyg_handle_t what happens besides
declaring the data type set by the typdefs in kapi.h and system.h. Are the
values initialized as well, what value is passed to cyg_alarm_create()
kernel api function?

My impetus for asking this question is that I've noticed if I warehouse my
alarms in a separate file(alarms.c) the use of the extern keyword does not
effect compiling or linking. So I believe that there might be something else
going on that I am not aware of and should be.

I am using arm-elf-gcc compiler for the arm720T on the cogent7312 dev. kit.

Thanks in advance
Aaron Case