Re: PS/2 Keyboard as I/O device

On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 11:13, Chuck McManis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here are my thoughts on implementing a PS/2 device driver (keyboard and
> mice). I have some PS/2 support at the HAL layer that provides a simple
> read/write byte protocol (think a serial port only dumber :-) and I'm
> building a keyboard meta device and mouse meta device over that layer. The
> thought being that if ps2 peripherals existed on platforms other than PCs
> one could still use the keyboard and mouse layers. Thoughts? Should I not
> bother and just leave this stuff in my application?

We've done this before for some other platforms.  Most of them actually
have a pseudo-tty device in the HAL (i.e. something which behaves much
like a serial port, providing input via the keyboard and output via a
screen).  Many also export the device using the eCos I/O layer.  In this
case, the actual device may be split up into /dev/kdb.  The most common
use for such a device is with a windowing application (e.g. one that
uses MicroWindows), in which case what the /dev/kdb device exports is
a stream of event packets corresponding to the key up/down events.

Look in devs/kdb and devs/touch to see examples.
--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates