Re: iPaq 3600 - restore WinCE ?

On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 13:46, Colin McPhail wrote:
> Hi
>
> In the course of investigating the redboot_WinCE version of redboot for iPaq
> 3600 I seem to have rendered my iPaq somewhat unusable - a normal reboot or
> cold start stops at Compaq's splash screen. The parrot loader still works,
> and I have (on my PC) the contents of flash in four 4MB files that I saved
> using OSloader before starting with redboot. Can anyone (please!) point me
> to some instructions on how to use the parrot and these files to restore
> WinCE?  The only instructions I can find seem to assume that I have already
> installed Linux, or at least its boot loader.
>
> (I know, I should have found out what to do *before* getting into this
> situation .....).

Do you have RedBoot working from ROM?  If so, and you can load and
run a RAM version, I could provide you with a raw 16MB dump obtained
from my machine.  I have successfully restored my iPAQ to a "factory"
condition using this file.  Contact me directly if you want to try this.

Alternatively, you could ask the folks that probably know.  Look for
help at http://www.handhelds.org/

Note: the way I found to save your iPAQ is to get into the Parrot
loader *before* loading anything else.  Then install a CF RAM card
and it will let you dump the contents of ROM/FLASH to it.  Later
on, you can use this to restore the original contents.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates