Re: ROMRAM start on ARM platform

Andrew Lunn wrote:
On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 08:45:51PM +0200, Koeller, T. wrote:

Hi,

I found that most of the *romram.ldi files for the various arm
platforms are broken, because they all have an LMA_EQ_VMA argument
in their section definitions for code and read-only data sections,
and so the contents of these sections are not copied to RAM. I can't
fix this because the maintainers rigidly insist in using the Windows
MLT tool to modify those files (I just recently inquired about this on
ecos-devel again), which I do not have access to.

FAOD, the reason is that when we do get a new MLT, we can import all the old MLT files. With arbitrary stuff included, it won't happen and things will need to be brought over by hand; or more likely platforms will have to be dropped because we can't test them and there would be other changes in the arch .ld file. That would suck.

If you want to add arbitrary stuff in the .ldi file, your platform is at risk of being dropped in future unless someone is prepared to clean it up.

And then, there is yet another problem: By looking at arm.ld I
found that even if this were fixed, only the contents of the .data
section is copied to RAM, the contents of .rodata and .rodata1
are not. This is certainly an error, too, or am I getting something
wrong here?

Speaking for the EBSA285 ROMRAM which i wrote, LMA_EQ_VMA is totally ignored. Also, it copies from CYGMEM_REGION_rom+reset_vector, to CYGMEM_REGION_rom_SIZE, where rom size is the size of one flash block.

[Hang on a minute. cvs annotate. Huh!]

Strange, thats not what i wrote! Someone has changed it...  What i
wrote used a symbol the linker inserted at the end of the data
sections. I copied everything up to that symbol. The current
implementation is enough for a ROMRAM redboot, but will break for a
large ROMRAM app!

How so? It will copy up to the end of .data which looks right.