Re: How to build redboot/ecos?

On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 16:22, Chien-Lung Wu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	I just download ecos from sourceforge. And I would like to compile

Really?  Where?  The only official source for eCos is:
  http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/

> ecos and redboot; however, I have no idea to compile it.
>
> 	I read the user guide but it seems missing in the install/compile
> part.
>
> 	Therefore I try to compile it in the following steps:
>
> 	In linux platform:
>
> 	1. unzip ecos-linux
>
> 	2. cd ecos-2.0
>
> 	3. mkdir ecos-build
>
> 	4. cd ecos-build
>
> 	5. ../configure
>
> 	6. make
>
> 	I can get it compiled; but it seems nothing happen!
>
> 	Similarly, in the NT/cygwin platform:
>
> 	1. unzip ecos-cygwin
>
> 	2. cd ecos-2.0
>
> 	3. mkdir ecos-build
>
> 	4. cd ecos-build
>
> 	5. ../configure
>
> 	6. make
>
> 	I also get it compiled; but it still nothing happen.
>
> Could anyone show me how I can get ecos compile and how can I get redboot
> work in the PowerPC mpc8240/8245 board?
> Thanks for your help.

First of all, you've not configured an eCos kernel at all, just the
host tools!  Have a look at the "Getting Started" guide or Anthony's
book to learn more about how eCos applications are built.  Start with
  http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/

Also, you can't just configure eCos for a PowerPC 8245 - you have to
configure it for a known platform.  There are some out there which are
based on the 8245, but if you don't have exactly that platform, then
eCos will need to be ported to your particular platform.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates