Re: Keeping 2.0 source tree up to date

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 12:58, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 05:17:46PM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>
> >> Whats the recommended way to keep a 2.0 source tree up to date
> >> with bug fixes?
>
> I guess the answer is "there isn't one".  Once you decide to
> use an "official" snapshot, you're more-or-less stuck.
>
> >> Do I need to try to get BOFH to allow access to the CVS tree?
>
> I've been trying to figure out how to use cvs to do something
> useful, and I'm stumped.  Since the latest "official" source
> tree has all of the directories renamed (2.0 vs. current),
> there doesn't seem to be any way for me to use cvs to compare
> my ecos-2.0 source tree with the "head".

Sadly this naming convention does make using CVS difficult.

> >> Is there an official archive of approved patches somewhere that
> >> can be downloaded?
>
> Apparently no.
>
> > eCos does not use the linux model of a stable version and a
> > development version.
>
> Nor does it appear to use the "cvs" model. Since the 2.0
> directory structure doesn't match the CVS database, I can't
> figure out how to use cvs to find out what's changed either.

That's only true for the release branches.  In general, we do all
of our work against "current" which is exactly the CVS trunk.

> > If you want a certified release which has had extensive testing
> > like 2.0 had, you need to contact the commercial support
> > people.
>
> No, what I want is an automated way to find out what's changed
> since 2.0.  If I knew it would be useful, I could probably
> argue BOFH into allowing access to the CVS server.

One way to get this is to generate diffs (on the CVS trunk) using
the release tag, e.g.
  cvs diff -r ecos-v2_0-release

If you can't use CVS though, you're rather stuck.

Note: I've done this just today (to test the theory) and can make
the patches available on my website.  Try:
  http://www.mlbassoc.com/ecos_patches/diffs-2003-09-22.gz
If this is useful to the community, I can automate this and post
the diffs, probably once a week.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates