1ms polling period

Hello,

I have to do some hardware polling every 1-5 ms.
What is the best way to do that in ecos?
Using the system clock there is only a minimum 10ms period available. I wouldn't like modifying the system clock, but is that the only way to do it?
Or should I manually use a hardware timer in my controller to generate an interrupt every 1ms? (My basic hardware is the ATMEL EB40A.)
Or is there maybe a completely different way to do this?
Any ideas you have about this are appreciated.

Regards,
Dirk Eibach