General questions on ecos

I've finally managed to install and test (using linux) ecos on my laptop :D
(still I cannot remote debug it from windows since gdb keeps on telling me
that my com1 is not a type writer) ...
but I've got some general Questions on ecos ...

Is redboot just a bootloader or is redboot a complete OS based on ecos ?

When i send my program using gdb do I send the ecos with it or just my
program ?
In the case i just send my program on wich operating system is my machine
running ? redboot ?

How do I install ecos on the machine (with or without redboot) , I mean is
there a way to have my ecos laptop running on it's own (with a terminal,
etc...)

I'm really confused ... but In one day I learned alot, and I'm very
entousiastic about ecos

PS : sorry for the spelling I'm french