IXDP425 vs. IXP420 based board

Hi
I have a board based on the ixdp425 from intel.
the main differences are that this board uses one uart, supports up to 8MB
flash, and has a ixp420 cpu.
I have written redboot to a flash chip, this chip boots and functions
correctly the IXDP425 development board, but I got flash checksum error or
invalid key on the target board, the code seems to be going through the
flash doing a checksum or something, and everyonce in a while it will
print the same error message, but i never got a redboot prompt.
are there major differences between the two cpu's?
any tips on how could I debug this?
is there any simple boot code that i can burn to the flash to verify basic
hardware operations are working?

Thanks in advance

Do you Unix?