Re: Copyright assignment

Eric Doenges wrote:
Nick Garnett wrote:
I would very much like to see your driver committed to the repository
and this is the only sticking point.  Maybe you are just going to have
to resubmit the forms to Red Hat. However, we have also been
discussing alternative approaches to assignments in the maintainers
list. Maybe your driver can be the trailblazer for the new mechanism.

The new mechanism has been agreed in principle. All that remains is coming up with some satisfactory wording for the public declaration bit (if you remember that).

Personally, I don't really care who I assign the copyright to - I just
think it is a sad state of affairs that getting the legal work done
takes much more time and is much more aggravating than writing the code
all the fuss is about. However, before I can assign the copyright to
anyone else I have to know what happened to my original copyright
assignment, since I can hardly assign it to anyone with the prior
assignment to RedHat floating around somewhere.

Write a dated letter saying you withdraw your assignment request. Unless they can present you an assignment contract (and the terms of assignment say they must return a counter-signed one to you) signed and dated by them prior to that letter, then your letter takes precedence. Until it is counter-signed it has no legal force. Sorry for the hassle, but unfortunately we aren't responsible for Red Hat, and we have been making efforts to change the situation, but the FSF legal department is also quite distracted at the moment with the SCO stuff I guess :-|.

We should be able to put in a temporary "fix" shortly at least as Nick said. The decision on this was only taken earlier in the week.