Re: ecos porting to x86

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 08:36:45AM -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:

>> I want to port eCos to that platform, but it uses an 16bit-x86
>> is there a way to por eCos there? Has any one done that?
>
> As far as I know, it's not been done before (porting eCos to a 16 bit
> processor), but the design is for this to be feasible.  That said,
> expect it to be some work, since it'll be the first time.

Parts of eCos assume you're using gcc.  So, thare are two
possible tacks to take: 1) port gcc to the 8086. 2) Port eCos
to some other toolchain.

> What would you want to do with this device?  What sort of software
> would you be running?  I'm just asking to get a feel if eCos is the
> right solution for you.

The X-port is the lantronics "computer in an RJ-45 jack"
thingy, right?  The sales pitch for that one is: if you've got
room for an RJ-45 jack, you can add a web-server to your
product.  It seems mainly to be aimed at the retro-fit market.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com