Re: ecos porting to x86

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Grant Edwards wrote:

> Parts of eCos assume you're using gcc.  So, thare are two
> possible tacks to take: 1) port gcc to the 8086. 2) Port eCos
> to some other toolchain.

Not to detract from eCos, but you may want to look into uC/OS-II
(http://www.ucos-ii.com) it already runs on the 16-bit x86 using the
Borland compiler suite.

It is possible to port LWIP (a small IP stack) ported to uC/OS and even a
webserver (I've had a couple of customers ask about porting my webserver
to uC/OS). Of course, the cost of uC/OS isn't free (although its very
reasonable) and it doesn't have as good of a debug environment as eCos,
but if thats the HW you got. ;-)

> The X-port is the lantronics "computer in an RJ-45 jack"
> thingy, right?  The sales pitch for that one is: if you've got
> room for an RJ-45 jack, you can add a web-server to your
> product.  It seems mainly to be aimed at the retro-fit market.

Hmmm. But how complex of an interface can this thing present?

L8r,
Mark G.