Re: eCos developpement process?

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 10:37:43AM +0100, Vincent Catros wrote:
> I know that mailing list is the prefered way to submit new packages and
> bud fixes. But then, who decide to include it in the official eCos
> distribution and how long it takes?

The maintainers decide what is included. How long a particular patch
takes to be included varies for a number of reasons. Big patches take
more work and so tend to take longer. Ugly patches generally either
get rejected and requested to be re-written, or we fix them ourselves.
Some patches get stuck for legal reasons. Some patches get included
fast because it interests a particular maintainers. Some patches get
delayed because no maintainer is particularly interested in the patch.
Maintainers do there work totally voluntary, in the spare time etc. We
have a RealLife(tm) as well to lead, some sometimes patches get delayed
because we spend a weekend skiing, or flying our plane, etc....

> This question comes because I've been faced to a bug with JFFS2.
> This bug is known and a patch has been submitted on 14 Jul 2003.
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-patches/2003-07/msg00038.html (thanks
> to Scott Wilkinson ;-)).
> But, the eCos version I'm working on has been downloaded using CVS on
> september 2003 and the bugged file (rbtree.c) was not yet corrected.

It was committed 2003/01/22. Update your cvs tree.

   Andrew