Re: Building Microwindows without CYGPKG_NET as a linked application

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 10:10:49AM +1300, jamesn wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm building Ecos for a LEON target with the Microwindows package.
>
> I've added a new option to microwindows.cdl specifiying screen driver,
> null keyboard and null mouse. Eveything seems to be working as it
> should, the library is building and linking with my application and
> framework.
>
> The problem is that I only have 512K bytes of space on the target
> hardware and my present image with MW and NET package is around 640K bytes.
> When building without NW and NET package the image is around 220K bytes.
>
> Looking at the memory map file (with a kludged target.ld), it seems to
> me that a large part of this overhead is the tcpip support and the
> net_bsd_tcpip package in general.
>
> I do not need microwindows to work in the X-client/server model -
> calling the nano api routines directly (linked application?) would be
> acceptable. Is this where the requirement for the NET package comes from.

I suggest you look at http://microwindows.censoft.com. It describes
the architecture etc and will probably give you general instructions
on configuration etc. You then need to modify it into eCos terms.

Another option might be to use the lwip stack which is much
smaller. It has been reported to work, but networking is slow.

         Andrew