Re: Building Microwindows without CYGPKG_NET as a linked application

Andrew Lunn wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 10:10:49AM +1300, jamesn wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm building Ecos for a LEON target with the Microwindows package.
>>
>> I've added a new option to microwindows.cdl specifiying screen driver,
>> null keyboard and null mouse. Eveything seems to be working as it
>> should, the library is building and linking with my application and
>> framework.
>>
>> The problem is that I only have 512K bytes of space on the target
>> hardware and my present image with MW and NET package is around 640K bytes.
>> When building without NW and NET package the image is around 220K bytes.
>>
>> Looking at the memory map file (with a kludged target.ld), it seems to
>> me that a large part of this overhead is the tcpip support and the
>> net_bsd_tcpip package in general.
>>
>> I do not need microwindows to work in the X-client/server model -
>> calling the nano api routines directly (linked application?) would be
>> acceptable. Is this where the requirement for the NET package comes from.
>
>I suggest you look at http://microwindows.censoft.com. It describes
>the architecture etc and will probably give you general instructions
>on configuration etc. You then need to modify it into eCos terms.
>
>Another option might be to use the lwip stack which is much
>smaller. It has been reported to work, but networking is slow.

And look at http://home.twcny.rr.com/embedded/microwin/links.html - eCos
port link.
I never tried it myself, but it states that it uses mqueue instead of
loopback TCP/IP socket
and it has a display driver for synthetic target (although doing it with
qvfb is much nicer).

savin