Re: building RedBoot for a PC with an NIC other than 82559 or 82544

"Mike at VirginNet" <mister.chips@virgin.net> writes:

> Hi, thanks for the hint.
>
> I've now edited ecos.db and replicated the package
> CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_I386_PC_I82544 as CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_I386_PC_I21143 with
> appropriate changes in the text.  I'm sure there is more to it than that,
> but I don't have a clue what!

It would probably be better to duplicate the
CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_MIPS_VRC4375 package as
CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_I386_PC_I21143, since it already contains all the
config info you need. Then just change the file and CDL option names
as appropriate.

> When I run configtool on /tmp/redboot_FLOPPY/ecos.ecc and select the
> menuitem build>packages,  I see the 82559 driver.  When I try to remove it,
> I get a dialogue that says 'Add and remove hardware packages by selecting a
> new hardware template'.  When I select the menuitem 'build>templates' I get
> a description of the makeup of the build, but no mechanism to change it or
> create a new template. Please explain.

You need to add a new target, say pc_i21143, and substitute the
necessary packages. Take a look at what has been done for the pc_giga
and pc_rltk8139 targets.