Re: MPC860 Porting (ROM/Flash)

----- Original Message -----
From: Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
Date: Thursday, December 11, 2003 3:07 pm
Subject: Re: [ECOS] MPC860 Porting (ROM/Flash)

> On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 10:28, Viswanath Bandi wrote:
> > Right now, I am just trying to get RedBoot running on the board.
> After> making the changes as mentioned in the porting guide, I am
> able to
> > compile and make redboot.srec. But when I program the flash and
> power on,
> > nothing happens. Guess i need to look more closely at .S file.
> Can you
> > suggest me on how the platform initialization part is typically
> modified?> I tried to look at it but it's very confusing and
> didn't know where to
> > start.

You should be having a file mbx860.S or something like that. Thats your basic hardware initialization that control will come to after reset.Make sure chip selects for Rom,Ram are setup correctly with their timing parameters etc. without which there will be no way to create stack space required.

> Try looking at some of the other platforms which use the 860, e.g.
> viper
> >
> > One quick question, can I use gdb & redboot.elf file to see what is
> > going on? Because, when I run it using gdb, it dies saying
> privileged> instruction.
>
> Using GDB to debug ROM/FLASH code is pretty tough.  If you have
> some
> sort of debug unit (BDM) then you could possibly load code into RAM
> and test that.  It's often much easier to get stuff going that way
> thanblowing ROM/FLASH images all the time.

Get a BDM (Wiggler) worked for me. Eprom emulator is very handy if you can afford one!

Good Luck!
Nirmal