EB 40A, Serial driver stops after 10 minutes

Hello
   We have a variant of EB40A with only the clock
speed differing - 32.768 Mhz (instead of 66Mhz).
   After making the change for Clock speed
CYGNUM_HAL_ARM_AT91_CLOCK_SPEED to 3276800. We
compiled the code with original serial driver - The
result was that a lot of packets were getting dropped
(38400 baud).

   We then changed the driver to "Improved AT91 serial
driver" by John Recker from the contrib site
(http://ecos.sourceware.org/contrib.html). This driver
did not drop packets for the rate - 760 bytes per
second (baud: 38400). After 10 minutes - the whole
system comes to a halt - The system does not respond
to the packets sent to the serial port.

The code consists of two threads -
==================================
1. Thread-1 receives packets from serial port and
posts it to the mailbox of thread-2
2. Thread-2 - reads message from the mailbox and sends
the data out through the same serial port.

Another interesting behavior was that when we have a
simple single thread loopback solution. The system was
observed to be stable for 30 minutes.

Can anyone tell me what could be the problem?

Thanks,
Shiv