From: Fleege, Philip T
To: 'ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com'
Cc: Fleege, Philip T
Sent: 1/21/2004 4:28 PM
Subject: Update on the availability of socketpair()?

Hi All-

I read in an earlier posting;
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2003-07/msg00485.html that the
function: socketpair() was intentionally left out of the 2.0 release.
But that it could (and therefore might) be added.  Is there any short
term (or long term) plan to add this call?

Just as is described in the reference above, I'm porting some unix code
that uses a "tickle" pipe to wakeup a thread blocking on select().  And
yes, I could use a 'localhost' socket.  However, I am advocating that
socketpair() be added since it makes the application code so simple and
elegant.

Finally, if there is an effort to add this to eCos, what is the chances
that it could be kept in without having to have all the network code; or
it be a "configurable" item.  I guess what I'm really asking is what are
the chances that a pipe() system call be added.  Our embedded
application will actually be using serial lines...but we use the network
during development (to fake out devices) so our final software will not
have a network stack (thus no socketpair() when we remove network
support).

Thanks for the update in advance!!!
Phil