HTTP and sockets

I am working on an application that uses web pages that contain a lot of gif
images in them. If I go from page to page, every fourth access stalls. The
problem appears to be with the eCos socket processing. If I set the
CYGPKG_NET_MAXSOCKETS setting to 16, the problem occurs more often. Setting
it at 64 causes the problem to occur every fourth page. You then have to
wait about 30 seconds before you can access the pages again. It appears to
me that for some reason, the sockets aren't being closed immediately when
closed by the httpd thread. The browser opens a different socket to retrieve
each gif. Why aren't the sockets being freed up? I have tried setting
SOL_LINGER to off but that doesn't seem to help any.
	Rick Davis