ecos port on X86 target

Hi all,
Finally I am able to generate libtarget.a and make an
application using the ping_test.c (as provided in the
ecos release). When I load the the file on the board
and execute go command, I get the following:
O53746172742050494E4720746573740A
which when translated is the diagnostic message "Start
Ping Test\n" which is the message at the start of the
test. System crashes at this point.

Any reason the message is being printed in Hex.
Is this an issue with my library build?
Thanks,
Baljeet