Re: STLport with iostreams up and running

> > > Exceptions work(they don't require STLport). I've even added support for multithreaded
> > > exceptions to eCos. Nobody has commented on the patch though.
> > >
> > > http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2003-07/msg01657.html
> >
> > Probably because that patch breaks the user namespace,
>
> I don't understand the statement above.
>
> Could my patch be fixed?

The problem is you have added a global symbol which userspace
applications see and could accidently have the same name causing all
sorts of chaos. Libraries should avoid global variables where ever
possible. If you absolutely must have a global variable you need to
prefix it with _. Symbols starting for _ are reserved for system use.

A better solution would be to add getter and setter functions and use
the gcc convention for naming these functions that live in libgcc.a or
where ever they live.

      Andrew