Re: Help with linux synthetic target, please.

    Gordon> Hi,
    Gordon> I've been trying to do this apparently simple task for
    Gordon> hours and keep falling.

    Gordon> I've finally gotten eCos itself to build (configtool,
    Gordon> Build->Library) after discovering the rather hidden
    Gordon> hal/synth...host stuff, but I'm now falling at getting the
    Gordon> tests running. configtool, Build->Tests fails with a
    Gordon> rather fundamental undefined reference: __write that
    Gordon> sounds like I still have some host support stuff missing.
    Gordon> What's amiss, please?

That should have been fixed by this changes to packages/hal/synth/arch:

2003-07-05  Bart Veer  <bartv@ecoscentric.com>

	* src/synth_entry.c:
	Add more dummy functions to cope with dependencies introduced by
	various versions of g++.

Unfortunately the fix came after the eCos 2.0 release. You can switch
to anoncvs or a recent snapshot. Alternatively you can just add the
following to the end of src/synth_entry.c:

#if (__GNUC__ < 3)
// 2.95.x libgcc.a __pure_virtual() calls __write().
int __write(void)
{
    return -1;
}
#endif

    <snip>

    Gordon> Hmm, another question .. the two tests that do appear to
    Gordon> have made OK, 'basic' and 'context', will run in a ddd
    Gordon> window, but never break anywghere in the main() function
    Gordon> supplied. I get the impression that main() is a
    Gordon> placeholder to keep linker happy and not breaking ther is
    Gordon> normal. Right? .. or do I have some other fundamental
    Gordon> problem?

Most eCos test cases do not use a main() function. Instead the various
threads etc. are created in cyg_start() before the scheduler is
started and interrupts are enabled - just an alternative way of doing
things. You may want to look at some of the test cases to see how this
works.

Bart

--
Bart Veer                       eCos Configuration Architect