Re: IXP425 RedBoot reset Ethernet problem

Ok, I got it working, but I'm not exactly sure why... I was using Intels 1.3 CSR and I updated to 1.4. Seems to have fixed the problem.

Casey

Casey Anderson wrote:
Hi,

We are developing a product based on the IXDP425 Richfield board from Intel. RedBoot has been working just fine for our development activities on the IXDP425 board, but we are having some problems with the Ethernets on our own board.

First off, we are using RedBoot 1.92 (custom built). It includes the Intel code for brining up the built-in Ethernet modules on the IXP425.

We have noticed that if we:

1. power on the board
2. wait for the RedBoot prompt
3. type "reset"
4. then at the RedBoot prompt again we load the kernel and ramdisk

the Ethernets come up in Linux every time. However if we just load Linux from a power-up, without doing a reset, the Ethernets won't come up (Linux THINKS they are up, but no pings go through). If we ifconfig down and ifconfig up the Ethernets a few times, they usually start passing traffic, but after about 100 packets the kernel panics.

On the Richfield, the Ethernets come up every time (whether power-cycled or software "reset") and we can ping flood the Ethernet interfaces and all is well.

I'm not very familiar with the RedBoot code so I'm not sure where to start looking to solve this problem, or to figure out what is going on. It could be a hardware difference between our boards and the Richfield, but the hardware engineer and I have gone over the design with a fine tooth comb and can't see anything that would cause this.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Casey