Ethernet Packet generation without the TCP/IP stack

Hello All;

I have probably a very simple question but I have been racking my brain for
quite a while trying to figure out how to generate an Ethernet packet without
using the TCP/IP stack. I read through <cyg/io/eth/eth_drv.h>, and all the
Intel i82995 driver implementation and through ?XIV. Ethernet Device Drivers?
of the reference manual but I still can?t figure out how to simply
initialize, send and receive Ethernet packets. Do I need to use the TCP/IP
stack?

I now know for sure how to write a driver but all I want to do is to use the
standard i82995 driver. How does the stack use the driver to send and receive
packets?

Thanks so much!

Steven.