Re: RE : Licence consideratios.

Vincent Catros wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Lunn [mailto:andrew@lunn.ch]
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 3:57 PM
To: Vincent Catros
Cc: ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: [ECOS] Licence consideratios.

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 03:23:57PM +0100, Vincent Catros wrote:

Hello,

I'm about to deliver an FTP server.
This server has been originaly developped for RTEMs and therefore
was released under RTEMs licence.

In fact, licence terms were not included into the files I downloaded. I have contacted the original contributor that said to me the package was released under "RTEMs licence". Regarding the name of four licences, I assumed it was "Primary licence".

i.e. http://www.rtems.com/license/LICENSE

Then I have included RTEMs "Primary licence" terms into files and
submited those files to the original contributor for agreement.
He gave me this agreement.

But I can't switch to eCos licence as, I think, all contributors should
give their agreement.

Is this a problem to include files into eCos distribution?

After some consideration, we are unable to include it. IANAL of course, but it appears to not fit with the existing eCos license. The RTEMS license says: : "[...] linking other files with RTEMS objects to produce an executable application, does not by itself cause the resulting executable application to be covered by the GNU General Public License."

However, these files will be linked with non-RTEMS objects. Therefore the full GPL would apply, therefore it is not acceptable in the main source base, sorry. We _can_ put it up in our contributions section though, just not include it in the main source base.

March 30 - April 1, San Francisco http://www.esconline.com/electronicaUSA/