eCos, mbx821, & RedBoot problems

Hi, all

I have a MBX821 board and I am having problems getting it working and
I am hoping that someone who has experience with this board can help.

Right now my goal is to install RedBoot and get it to boot to a
RedBoot prompt.  I am using eCos 2.0.

The only additions to the board is the installation of a AM29F0408.

I made a cable to connect the serial port on my laptop to SMC1/COM1
port, and with HyperTerminal, I can connect to it and get a EPPC-Bug
prompt. I can enter any of the EPPC debug commands and it will respond
appropriately.

I then followed the instructions that I found at
http://ecos.sourceware.org/ecos/docs-latest/ref/mbx.html  and
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2001-06/msg00477.html.

The build process for RedBoot image went well and without error.
the power, change HyperTerminal (38400, 8, N, 1, flow control none),
change jumper 4 to 1-2, and apply power again and... I get NOTHING. No
output on the screen, no activity from the keyboard (bang the enter
key a few times)... Nothing.

After rebooting to EPPC-Bug, I've used "md" to compare the contents of
addresses 40000 and fc000000.  Since they are the same, I believe that
pflash is working properly.

However, if I view redboot.ppcbug (the copy I built on the laptop) in
a hex editor (Xemacs, hexlify-buffer mode), the values I see in
Hyperterminal don't start unil the 100th character. That is the file
has 99 characters (header?) before the first value that is displayed
by "md 40000" and "md fc000000."  Perhaps this is expected. I don't
know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Marc Mandel