Re: Creating UART driver

Sam Pham <anhmn@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have a simlar task as mentioned in the the email
> below.  One thing I don't understand about its
> explaination is the last step:
>
> "Finally,
> create a new 'target' section in the database for the
> EB40A with your
> new driver package (since you cannot add hardware
> packages to an
> existing target with configtool)"
>
> Why do we have to create a new 'target' section?
> Can't we just adding new driver package into the
> exising 'target' section?

In the example the original serial drivers are being replaced with new
ones. Hence it is necessary to make a new target. If you just add the
new drivers to the existing target, then you will have both sets of
drivers present at the same time. If this is what you want you can do
it. Just make sure that the device names are distinct.

> Also, after adding new driver package into the
> existing 'target' section, my .ecc file does not have
> -hardware or -template for this new package.  For
> example, CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_GENERIC_16X5X stands alone
> by itself:

This I cannot help you with. Maybe there are some obscure rules about
when a package gets marked with -hardware here. Note that you need a
platform customization package to go with the 16X5X driver. The lack
of this may have something to do with it.