Re: RE : Microwindows, FLTK/FLNX and eCos

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 10:58, Philip Keller wrote:
> > I'm thinking about using FLTK on top of Microwindows using nxlib.
> > http://www.microwindows.org/
> >
> Have you looked at FLNX? (http://www.pixil.org/) It's a adaptation of FLTK
> v. 1.0 to runs directly on top of Microwindows/Nano-X. This would avoid the
> nxlib compatibility layer.

I was under the impression that flnx was obsolete with nxlib.

> The FLNX widgets are simplified to be more "PDA-like." FLNX includes the
> graphical UIF editor, Fluid, but I use the FLTK 1.2 version of Fluid, which
> is much improved. Everything seems to be compatible as long as you avoid the
> few additional widgets added with FLTK 1.0->1.2.

If FLNX is compatible with the configureable Microwindows 0.89 package
in eCos(and it is not an obsolete deadend library), then that sounds
like the easiest option.

> > Any efforts to port Microwindows 0.90 to eCos?
>
> There is eCos support in MW 0.9. Of course it's an external library rather
> than a configurable eCos package, and you still need to write an engine for
> your platform. We have also made some patches to allow it to use INET
> sockets on any platform (usually it uses UNIX sockets). There may have been
> some other issues with the eCos port - I can find out if you want.
>
> -- Philip

This is starting to sound like a rather daunting project for a humble
country engineer who just wants to throw up a GUI. :-)

For now I'm looking for a way to get the VNC server + FLxx up and
running(for some prototyping) and eventually I'll want MW to write to  a
framebuffer on our board.

(See upcoming post in ecos-patches w.r.t. some work I've done to update
the eCos MW package to 0.90)

--

Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com