From: ecos-discuss-owner@ecos.sourceware.org
[mailto:ecos-discuss-owner@ecos.sourceware.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Lunn
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 10:01 AM
To: Tony Butt
Cc: ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org
Subject: Re: [ECOS] Posix Thread name

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 01:09:57PM +1000, Tony Butt wrote:
> I had a requirement to be able to explicitly set the name of a posix
> thread, made some simple changes to posix/current/src/pthread.cxx and
> posix/current/include/types.h, and can now optionally set the name of
> a posix thread created using pthread_create.
>
> The name is set by assigning a value to pthread_attr.name before
> calling pthread_create().

As far as i can see, there is nothing in the POSIX pthread standard like
this.

Even if there was, i doubt it would be done by directly modifying the
pthread_attr structure. I would expect the POSIX people to add two new
functions, pthread_attr_setname() and pthread_attr_getname().

I think adding arbitry extensions like this to a standardized API is a
bad idea. So im tempted to not accept this contribution. Feel free to
try to change my mind.

        Andrew