Re: building redboot with eCos kernel

Nick Garnett wrote:

Michael Jastrebtsoff <jam2000@pisem.net> writes:

Hello, All.

I need to build Redboot with FAT support. But FAT requires eCos
kernel.

I try build Redboot with eCos kernel, but this don't work.(when i
connected to redboot via terminal, i'v  got a random chars on screen.)

The FAT filesystem will not work in RedBoot since it requires too many
kernel facilities to work. You cannot put the kernel into RedBoot
since RedBoot is intended to be a stand alone application, there are
just too many assumptions for this to work.

There shouldn't be a lot do to get fatfs into RedBoot - all I can think of
right now is the cyg_mempool_* api which is not available in nonkernel
configurations.

The only use that RedBoot would have for FAT filesystem support is to
load executables. So a simple read-only loader similar to the one that
already exists for ext2 would be a better solution.

This has already beed done - check The DODES project at
http://www.m17n.org/dodes/ecos/index.en.html.

savin