RE: Axiom CME-555: RedBoot ROM crashing

> Eric, sorry that it took me so long to reply. Becoming a father is a
> good excuse tough :-)

Congrats!

> > That's what I'd hoped, but using OCD commander and the wiggler seems to
> > give rather bogus results.  Stepping through results in rather random
> > jumping that quickly ends at unknown opcodes or address 0xFFFFFFFF.
> >
> > Is there some sort of settings that need to be enabled to use a
> > background debugger?
> >

> hmmm... stepping one instruction at a time should work since it does not
> require write access to program memory on the powerpc. Are you sure you
> initialize th processor as it should _before_ trying to step? You find
> info on how to do this on axiom's website. Make sure your debugger works
> using some piece of working software.

So we tried the sample programs from Axiom, which sort of worked.  I'll have
to try this again.

... <editing stuff I no longer think was so relevant>

> > > Try stepping through the code from the reset vector and see how far
you
> > > get. Make sure the reset vector effectively gets you to the _start
> > > routine. From what you describe, I doubt it will be the case.
> >
> > No, it doesn't seem to.  Any idea why?
> >

> Nope. That's for you to find out :-)

To get redboot to run, Miguel converted it into an srec file:

powerpc-eabi-objcopy -O srec --force-s3 redboot.elf redboot.srec
	(syntax approximated)

This was to try out the Axiom flash programmer, which requires srec files
(and only works if you set the delay between lines to something like 60-100
ms, not 15, as Axiom claims).

At this point, redboot worked (minus the external flash driver, as Miguel
has noted in other posts).

Downloading to flash via BDM works fine as well when given an SREC file.  I
think the trouble is either inherent to the .elf format (although I thought
I'd successfully run Axiom's program this way before), or, converting to an
SREC made the program small enough to fit into internal flash (the .elf file
was something like 600K).

Thanks for your help with this,

-Eric Castle
C&DH Subsystem of FEGI