Re: jffs2 ecc for nand flash

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 14:59, Diego Duyvejonck wrote:
> Hello,
> I was wondering if an ecc implementation exists for the eCos version of the
> jffs2 system in case one uses nand flash as mass storage device.  So far a
> crc check marks bad blocks if there are any.  But doesn't this mean loosing
> data in time... ?
> best regards,

Hi Diego,

The current version of JFFS2 that has been ported to eCos will not work
with NAND FLASH.  The most recent [Linux] code works quite well with
NAND devices, but there will be quite some effort to get it to work with
eCos because the interfaces to the FLASH drivers will have to be
extended to handle ECC and other out of band information.

What do you mean "But doesn't this mean loosing data in time... ?"  If
you are asking about the cost for the CRC/ECC, yes it either has to be
done in software, or it would be possible to use hardware assist if that
was available.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates