Default CME555 too big

Hi Bob,

We're at it again, this time trying to run some sample eCos programs on our
Axiom board (now running RedBoot in internal ROM).  We also got the flash
drivers working for RedBoot, which took some doing as our board did not come
with precise model of flash (but on the plus, we should have access to 1 MB,
instead of just 512 KB).

However, when we built the eCos library (using the CME555 template and the
default package) and made the example programs, they came in around 1 MB,
much too big to run from external RAM.  Is there a different package we
should be using here to build the library?

We attempted to build our own version, only including packages we thought
important for running the "hello world" program.  Below is a list of all the
packages in the "default" setup.  We started with the "minimal" build
(marked with *'s), and then added everything we thought we'd need (%):

*Axiom's CME555 evaluation board
%C library
*Common error code support
Dynamic memory allocation
*FLASH memory support for Axiom's CME555
*I/O sub-system
*ISO C and POSIX infrastructure
ISO C library date/time functions
ISO C library general utility functions
ISO C library internationalization
ISO C library non-local jumps
ISO C library signals
%ISO C library standard input/output functions
%ISO C library string functions
ISO environment startup/termination
*Infrastructure
Math library
*PowerPC 5xx variant HAL
*PowerPC common HAL
%Serial device drivers
*Support for AMD AM29xxxxx flash memory
Wallclock device framework
*Wallclock driver for mpc5xx RTC module
*cme555 PowerPC serial device drivers
*eCos common HAL
eCos kernel

We got an eCos library and linked it against the example programs, getting
something now more like 300 KB.

But downloading that to RAM via gdb hasn't produced anything.  Generally we
do the following:

% powerpc-eabi-gdb hello

(gdb) set remotebaud 38400
(gdb) target remote /dev/ttyS0
(gdb) continue

And then it just hangs.  Adding breakpoints doesn't seem to make any
difference, as it generally ignores them (once it stopped at a breakpoint,
but that was completely unrepeatable).

So, I was wondering if you:
1) Knew how we should be building our eCos library so the programs are small
enough to fit into external RAM.
2) Saw a mistake in how we're using gdb.

Thanks,

-Eric Castle

C&DH Subsystem - FEGI Team
University of Michigan