Problems with ppp and Windows

Ah! progress!

After your tip about running out of memory(which I really
should have figured out on my own!), I finally bit the bullit and
configured my EB40a with the AT91MEC board. This gives me 2MB of ram.

I'm now able to connect and get my telnet session going aginst Windows
and Linux PPP servers. Although I haven't investigated, the difference between
Linux and Windows PPP servers is probably that Windows causes the eCos PPP client
to use a tiny bit of extra memory.  I'll be playing around with PPP on my AT91MEC powered EB40a.

What now?

As you point out in http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss/2004-06/msg00144.html,
there are really two areas worthy of attention: debugging and memory usage.

- eCos could be a bit more friendly with the developer when running out of memory. Perhaps
there are suitable facilities for detecting these situations.
In addition to the suggestions you made, perhaps it would be a good idea to add a fn that
is invoked by the memory allocator when running out of memory? By default this could be
an empty fn(handy breakpoint site), and the application could override it with something
else(e.g. reset the board, invoke debugger, etc.).

- reduce memory requirements for PPP and freebsd networking stack.

- It is a bit hard to *know* how much memory is required. It would be nice to have a simple
way of figuring this out at compile time.

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com