PowerPC hangs on memory read

I am trying to read the CIS of a PCMCIA card. My development
system has a PowerPC860 and I am working with a 16 bit
PCMCIA peripheral.

The code works perfectly when I run it in a standalone
application using the Metrowerks compiler with the Macraigor
Wiggler as hardware debugger. This allows me to verify that
the code is sound. Unfortunately, when run under Ecos,
using GDB as the debugger, the same code hangs.

The inner loop that performs the reads looks like this:

   address = PCMCIA_ATTRIBUTE_ADDR + i;
   HAL_READ_UINT16( address, cis_content );

and the hangs happens during the HAL_READ_UINT16. I looked
at the assembler that is generated, and besides being more
verbose, the GNU code uses an LHZ instruction for the
read, while the Metrowerks uses an LHA, hardly a reason
to explain the inexplicable hangup.

Is there anyone that can suggest possible reasons?

Thanks
Tony