RedBoot and eCos with biosless x86

I am doing a port of eCos over to an extremely custom x86 board for a
small project with some friends.  The only thing really standard on it
is the i486 and the UART (using a 16550) -- everything else is written
in VHDL, including the SDRAM controller, PIC, PIT, etc.  Everything is
verified as functional and working 100% using a small monitor program
and some logic analyzers.

I have been doing a decent amount of reading, but nothing I can find
actually talks about the bios and if it is needed or should be
emulated if RedBoot and/or eCos is going to be ported over to the
board.

Any suggestions would be great -- either extra reading material, other
people's experiences, or anything -- to help give some foresight into
what to look for during this port.

Thanks,
Brian Padalino