Re: eCos on 80186?

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 08:17:18AM +0200, Chris Gray wrote:

> > Firstly, why would changing C compilers cause make to break?
>
> Borland had their own version of make, and from what I
> remember (from my own 80186 days) it was pretty restricted
> even compared to standard un*x version of make back then.

Right, but we're talking about using a different compiler, not
a different make.

> It wouldn't have a snowflake in hell's chance of running a
> makefile written for GNU make. So OP isn't going to be able to
> use Borland C+ + Builder as such, only the compiler component
> (invoked from GNU make).

Why would one even consider not using Gnu make?  ecosconfig
already creates gnu makefiles automagically, and there's no
reason at all to try to port the project to an incompatible
version of make.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com