Re: hal_diag serial driver: using XON/XOFF flow control?

I now believe the simple answer to my question is: "Implement the XON/XOFF flow control inside the HAL driver."

Because some people were asking, I'm posting my implementation.

The problem I have with this is that these routines are also used by RedBoot for I/O. In particular, they would break the download function
which can accept binary data.

Both Nick and I agree this is the wrong thing to do, so its unlikely to make it into the repository...

So what do you suggest? The code could go back into the ISR, so it's not involved in polled IO, or it could be made optional and depending on RedBoot absence. It will always be the same problem - how to handle in-band control data. As long as there is no protocol for binary data that escapes control data, it will be either binary or software flow control. Thanks God eCos is a configurable embedded OS.

Heiko Panther