Tool Chain

Hi,
Can somebody tell what is the stable tool chain I shall choose?
I porting all the tool to my win2k platform for ARM follow the
instruction of http://ecos.sourceware.org/build-toolchain.html after
week's hard work, however I was told by Ben that I should move to
Binutils 2.15, my problem is, there are so many different combinations,
as a newbie, I need some expert give me some advise so I can avoid tons
of try and error time.

The following is all the version I currently porting:
Cygwin: Don't know the version, but was released around 14 July 2002.
GCC: 3.21
G++:3.21
Binutils: 2.13.1
NewLib:1.11.0