Beginner question - What do I need to debug my Flash Redboot Image

Hello all,

I received our custom IXP425 board. I successfully built the IXP425
Development Board version of Redboot. I could then successfully download my
Redboot ROM image to the Flash through Macraigor's Flash Programmer through
the JTAG port. I can look at the target flash memory and it all looks good.
Flash memory is at 50000000 which is the right place for it to be in the
IXP425 normal mode

I then use the Macraigor OCD Commander and can reset the board and when it
comes up it is at PC=00000000 - dumping PC indicates that the Flash has been
correctly relocated at 00000000 for bootup mode so everything is looking
good.

Here is where my problems begin:

a) When I single step the board, it jumps through 0000a0e0 - which is
somewhere in redboot/parse.c - this looks pretty bad, because I'd expect it
to single step through to till I reach the beginning of the reset_vector
function

b) My question: what tools would the list recommend to debug Redboot in
Flash.The OCD Commander is a very minimal utility and is of no real help.
OCD gives me cryptic messages with target bus errors, but is of not much
help. worse case scenario is that the SDRAM is incorrectly set up..

c) I browsed the list for debugging aids but they're mostly about debugging
embedded images once Redboot is up and running.

Thanks for any help..

Krishna  (at my wits end)