Re: memory saving scheme for stacks

On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 22:52, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > If you have the ram, then obviously SST threads make no sense.
>
> It seems to me that nearly everything you have been doing for the last
> couple of months has been to do with shoehorning your code into a
> system with too little RAM. eCos is meant to be small, but it also has
> to be clean, maintainable and efficient.
>
> It might be time to take a step back and take a look at your problem
> from a wider angel. Consider how much time you have spent so far,
> consider how much more time you would need to implement SST. Consider
> the maintainance of such a system. Its always difficult to get a
> stable system when you have extreamly tight memory since unexpected
> things will happen in the field causing hard to reporduce bugs.

Squeezing more out of the current system must of course be held up
against the costs of a redesign. At some point, doing a redesign is
cheaper.

> Talk to your hardware people and component supply people. It might
> turn out cheaper in the long run to put bigger RAMs on the board and
> save a huge amount of time and money on the software side of the
> project.

If they add DRAM(megabytes), word is we'll be switching to uCLinux.

Hence the energy barrier(from a high-level perspective) to be crossed is
new board layout(which entails  more than just the CPU) + switching OS.

So far eCos has yielded to my efforts to squeeze a bit more out of the
system.

My current thinking on the SST stuff is that it is over the top.

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com