Re: MPC860 + gcc 3.3.2 + STLPort

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 04:25, Tony Butt wrote:
> I followed Oyvind's directions some time ago to enable STLPort with ecos,
> and I have a few questions regarding this configuration:
>
> 1) Exception handling seems to be totally broken with this compiler. Any
> thrown exception of the  form
> 	throw ("Error Message");
> is never caught. I have compiled ecos with -fno-exceptions, and those parts
> of my application which need exceptions with -fexceptions - is this likely
> to be an issue. If not, is this a known issue, or is there a workaround for
> this.

The eCos GCC toolchain only works in the single threaded case out of the
box.

Is that the problem you're running into?

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-patches/2003-07/msg00057.html

If exceptions are broken in the single threaded case, then I dunno. I'm
using the arm-elf toolchain.

> I realise that this is unrelated to the use of STLport.

I don't agree. Not having exceptions is a severe limitation in taking
full advantage of C++/STL.

> 2) strstreams seems to cause a link problem when an integer data type is
> used, eg
>   /home/tjb/ecos2.0/v681/STLport/src/locale_impl.cpp:45: multiple definition
> of `_STL::num_put<char, _STL::ostreambuf_iterator<char,
> _STL::char_traits<char> > >::id'
>
> 3) iostreams causes a linker failure (crash) when an integer data type is
> used.

Unfamiliar. Do you have a more complete test case?

Which eCos are you using? CVS HEAD?

> Apart from these issues, everything seems to work well...
>
> Oyvind, have you seen any of these problems?
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

This may not be very helpful for your case, but www.ecoscentric.com has
a commercial offering with a GCC toolchain with libstdc++ and exception
handling.

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com