Re: Re: PC targets and ethernet

jld@ecoscentric.com wrote:
> Hi Andrew
>
> Andrew Lunn wrote:
>
> >>The scheme you propose will not work with the eCos Configuration Tool
> >>which prevents users from adding/removing _hardware_ packages from their
> >>configuration.
> >
> > lunn@londo:~/eCos$ ecosconfig new csb281
> > lunn@londo:~/eCos/tmp$ ecosconfig remove CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_INTEL_I82559
> > lunn@londo:~/eCos/tmp$
> >
> > package CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_INTEL_I82559 {
> >         alias           { "Intel 82559 ethernet driver"
> >                            devs_eth_intel_i82559 i82559_eth_driver }
> >         hardware
> >         directory       devs/eth/intel/i82559
> >         script          intel_i82559_eth_drivers.cdl
> >         description     "Ethernet driver for Intel 82559 NIC."
> > }
> >
> > So I presume you mean the GUI tool has this limitation. It seems the
> > CLI tool has no problems with this.
>
> Correct. Hence my reference to "eCos Configuration Tool" rather than
> "ecosconfig" above.
>
> > Question: Why should hardware packages not be removable?
>
> This was a design decision intended to prevent users from modifying
> their configuration to such an extent that it was effectively targetting
> a different board. The eCos Configuration Tool uses the selected
> "Hardware Template" (target) for more than just package selection. For
> example, the "Run Tests" feature requires knowledge of the selected board.
I can understand this decision for most development board applications, but having been messing about with various flavours of PC hardware as an eCos target, it gets frustrating having to create a new target for each one, rather than having a basic setup that I can add hardware packages to.

Would it be possible to have an option making the warning advisory rather than forbidding the action or is there a more fundamental restriction?

(Of course I suppose that could just start using ecosconfig instead, but I've got comfortable with the GUI tool).