Re: Ethernet Driver - Upper Layer Driver

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 05:20:11PM +0530, Romil Shah wrote:

> 	Sir,
>        I want to develop ethernet driver for eCos ported on to a new
> platorm, so as per the driver model i have to develop the low level hardware
> dependent ethernet driver, but sir do i need to develop the upper layer
> ethernet functions also or i use the standalone or net or lwip dirver so
> that from there i can call the low level driver developed  by me.

The older OpenBSD based code in eCos contains ethernet bridging. There
is also a test case. The bridge code uses the normal network
interface, ie that provided in packages/io/eth/current/src/net/. All
your ethernet driver needs to do is implement the normal interface
expected by that upper layer.

> Also is it that through cyg_io_write ----> call to  eth_drv_write --->
> HDWR_send is called or some thing else is done , any direction would be of
> help to me.

The normal BSD socket calls are used to access the device driver, via
the network stack.

        Andrew