debug i386 application

hello

I want to boot the target i386 PC with the RedBoot via
a floppy and use GDB to load application image into
the target PC from the host PC via serial line or
ethernet.

As in "Embedded s/w development with eCos"
{it is better to use serial port for RedBoot
communicationand allow the application to use Ethernet
port execlusively}
{RedBoot is able to share the portsit uses for
debugging and diagnostics with the eCos application}

so I'm trying to do so :
1- First, I'm trying to connect the host target (i386)
to RedBoot via serial (I have only one serial port in
my target PC) so I'm enable the following option in
the redboot.ecc
   CYGNUM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_DEBUG_CHANNEL  and
   CYGNUM_HAL_VERTUAL_VECTOR_CONSOLE_CANNEL  (both to
      port 0)

when I'm using the Hyperterminal to load and run the
basic1 application, it is done correctly. But i
couldnt run any other example program (serial, or
twothreads),I'm load them and when I'm run them using
go it is halted and there are no response.

I could'nt load and debug any example program
following the procedure:

(gdb) set remotebaud 38400
(gdb) remote target /dev/ttyS0
(gdb) load
(gdb) continue
when doing continue the target PC is halted and there
is no response.

could you tell me what is the wrong?

2- please could you tell me how to enable both the
ethernet and serial ports to have the communication
via  serial and loading the application via ethernet?

                             thanks
                              Muna