Re: problem with running eCos kernel image on Redboot

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 11:32:44AM +0530, Chandrashekhar Padiyar wrote:
> Hello
>
> We have ported the eCos Rattler package for our board, which is based on the
> MPC8260 CPU. We have managed to initialize the serial and Ethernet
> interfaces and have got the Redboot prompt on the serial port with ROMRAM
> startup.
>
> Our board uses SMC2 for the UART and FCC2 for Ethernet. We have 32MB of
> Flash from 0xFE000000 to 0xFFFFFFFF (as two 16-bit 16MB chips in parallel).
>
> After this, we build the eCos kernel image (ecos.srec) from 'libtarget.a'
> and 'target.ld' (with 'powerpc-eabi-ld' and 'powerpc-eabi-objcopy') and
> download it into RAM at 0x00040000 using the 'load' command (TFTP). Now,
> when we try to write it to Flash at 0xFFF00000 using 'fis create', we get an
> error somewhat like this: 'Can't program Flash at 0xFFF00000 from
> 0x00040000...'.

libtarget.a is a library, as the name lib and the .a suggests. Its not
an application. You have to link your application code with the
library to make an application image you can run.

As usual, reading the documenation will be a big help:

http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/user-guide/building-and-running-sample-appliations.html

Also try to get hold of the book "Embedded Software Development with
eCos"

        Andrew