Re: How does FEC work on the ADDERII without PHY packagebeing called!!surprise!!

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 05:37, jason kole wrote:
> hi community,
> i was surpised to see FEC work on ADDERII without the
> code for the phy chip(AM79C874)being actually being
> compiled.
> the support for the PHY chip is under the following
> package.
>
> cdl_package CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_PHY {
>     display       "Ethernet transciever (PHY) support"
>     description   "API for ethernet PHY devices"
>
>     parent        CYGPKG_IO_ETH_DRIVERS
>     active_if     CYGPKG_IO_ETH_DRIVERS
>
>     include_dir   cyg/io
>
>     compile eth_phy.c
>
>      cdl_option CYGHWR_DEVS_ETH_PHY_AM79C874 {
>         display       "AMD 79C874"
>         flavor        bool
>         default_value 0
>         compile       -library=libextras.a AM79C874.c
>         description "
>           Include support for AMD 79C874 NetPHY"
>     }
> }
>
> but the package shown above is either included under
> the target adderII in ecos.db and nor in the
> adderII_redboot_ROMRAM.ecm file.
> Infact the above package is never called at all.

That port has not been updated to include PHY handling, sorry.
It's harmless to leave it out as the PHY happily runs without
being touched.  The main reason for having it is to be
able to detect whether or not the device is plugged in...

> so what i wanted to know was
> 1)how does the FEC work without the PHY support on the
> Adder card and
> 2)how do we add support for a new PHY chip if our
> porting to a new board is based on the AdderII source?

You'll need to have a line mentioning a different PHY in your CDL.
Look at the MOAB ethernet drivers to see how this can be done.

*EVERYONE* please, if you make a new package or platform based on
one of the public ones, please change the names and descriptive
strings.  If your board looks pretty much like an Adder, but is
different somehow, then it's not an Adder and should not be labelled
as such.  Call it a Comet or CowPie or whatever, but change the names
to minimize the confusion.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates